There are many religions in East Asia, yet only one way to the One True God. Jesus said “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) Go to http://eastasianpeoples.imb.org/ to learn about the major religions listed below and more. Commit to praying for the salvation of the East Asian People.
- Animism In parts of China, witch doctors offer animal sacriﬁces and create talismans to ward off evil spirits that can cause sickness or disaster.
- Atheism Ask a typical college student in China if he believes in God, and he will politely tell you: “There is no God. I believe in myself.”
- Shintoism The animistic religion originated in Japan and centers its theology on the worship of spirits, or “kami.”
- Taoism Its root word, “Tao”, literally means “The Way.” Because Taoism originated in China, many Chinese make it their religion of choice.
- Islam 22 million people in China, especially minority people groups in the western and northwestern regions, follow Islam.
- Buddhists The majority of Buddhists in the world today can be found in East Asia, including the majority of Taiwan’s population and most Tibetans.
- Christianity While not the predominant worldview by any standard, there are Christians found throughout East Asia. In addition to Biblical Christianity, there are also several Christian ‘cults’ that have developed over time.
In Yueyang, the most predominant worldview is a version of ‘atheism’ in which people claim to be atheist, but in practice, they are pretty superstitious and follow some form of ‘folk’ Buddhism or ‘folk’ Taoism. For many, it is all about ‘Good Luck’ ism – basically doing whatever they feel might bring them good luck, prosperity and safety.
Please pray that eyes will be opened to truth and that hearts will be set free from the bondage of faith in empty worldviews.
“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6